Humans are hardwired for stories. Through narrative we make sense of the world, past and present, and create "remembered futures" that draw us forward. All the truly great stories share share a common architecture. It includes:
- A Call - the Mission, identification of what matters most , the purpose of going on the journey;
- Heroes - identity of the organization, in a way that makes clear that people there are doing work that matters;
- A Journey - the strategic plan for getting there;
- Milestones - the basis of your tactical plans,
- Monsters - issues that must be faced, both internal and external,
- Metamorphosis - how to change in order to accomplish the goals.
- A Return Home - results, how people and the organization are different, how they're the same at the end of the journey when they've returned home. What have they accomplished? What have they learned? How have they grown, both as an organization and as individuals?
When these elements are rolled into one coherent narrative, told and understood by all who know the organization — both inside and out — a tipping point is reached:
People find themselves able to work in concert
with less effort and more relevance.
How We Work: With Leaders
How We Work: With Organizations
How We Work: With Crises
Return to Home >
© 1999-2016 Smart Work, LLC. All rights reserved.